Makes: 10 cups
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 55mins
- 1 tbsp goat’s butter or vegetable oil
- 4 medium sized onions roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 kg carrots roughly chopped
- 2 medium beetroots roughly chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
In a deep saucepan melt the butter and sauté the onions, garlic and carrots for about 15 minutes. Add in the beetroots and the water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes till all vegetables are softened. Add the salt and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- You may add or decrease the amount of water depending on the consistency you’d like for the sauce.
- Add oregano if using this sauce for a pizza
- Add basil and dill if using it for fish
- Add basil and parsley if using for meatballs, Bolognese or baked pasta dishes
- I freeze this sauce in 90g portions per medium sized pizza and 240g portions for a family of four to use in any other dish. I simply pour the sauce in zipper bags and mark them with a permanent marker.